Living Our Culture is JASC’s signature fundraising benefit of the year, intended to honor and promote living the values that our organization was founded on while celebrating and preserving the Japanese American legacy.
Each year we assemble artists, performers, activists and community members who share their life’s work with you, exemplifying our theme of creating a “living culture.” Our definition of Living Our Culture is taking the gift of knowledge and tradition learned from previous generations and making the most of them in our own way; creating works and living meaningful lives that fully respect the spirit of our heritage.
In our 70th year of service we were drawn to the concept of ‘kizuna’ which means bond, tie, or connection as this year’s Living Our Culture theme. In Japan, kizuna is used to signify the special relationship between those who have a shared experience. At JASC, our kizuna, our connections, have been built upon providing social service and building community for a wide range of Chicagoans by:
- bringing together the many different facets of the Japanese American community;
- sharing our culture’s food, music, dance, sports, and art to all who want to learn; and
- providing a lasting record for students, educators, and historians of an important part of the American experience.
Join us in strengthening and expanding our kizuna, our bonds to those we serve.
Living Our Culture will feature:
- Japanese music including famed Tatsu Aoki and friends
- Heavy hors d’oeuvres and sushi by Kamehachi
- Complimentary open bar stocked by Jim Beam Suntory liquor and Revolution Brewery
- Raffle drawing with cash prizes of $1,500, $750 and two awards of $250
- Silent Auction featuring artwork, jewelry, vacations, gift certificates, sports memorabilia, and much more!