JASC 2021 Scholarships
Applications for 2021 Scholarships are now closed.
As a part of its efforts to preserve and promote our Japanese heritage and to advance the commitment to community service, the JASC administers an annual scholarship program to support members of the Japanese American community to pursue education beyond high school. These JASC scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance to promising students who have demonstrated both academic excellence and service to the Japanese American community.
We thank the many families and individuals who have donated to fund the scholarships and recognize the people for whom our scholarships have been named, both current scholarships and past: Sam Fukaye Scholarship, Fred Toguri Scholarship; William T. Yamamoto Scholarship; Frank T. Kambara Scholarship; Jean E. Taketoshi Scholarship; John (Jun) Iwaoka Scholarship; Dr. Newton K. Wesley Scholarship; Taketo (Tak) Tomiyama Scholarship.
To be eligible to receive a scholarship from the JASC, applicants must meet each of the following requirements
- Applicants’ family or applicants themselves must have a current JASC membership.
- Applicants must be enrolled on a full or part-time basis in an accredited school of advanced learning within the 2021-22 academic year.
- Applicants need not be of Japanese ancestry and need not be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicants must submit a written application, meet the criteria listed below, and a sealed current transcript from their high school or college/university.
- Awards are distributed to the student upon the applicant providing JASC with proof of enrollment at an accredited school of advanced learning.
- JASC scholarship winners are limited to receiving a total of two (2) awards in their lifetime.
2021 REQUIRED COMPONENTS
- Grades, Coursework: Official sealed transcripts from high school or college, other academic honors and/or awards.
- Extracurricular Activities: Level or degree of the applicant’s participation, length of time involved in the activity, leadership, and accomplishments in the activity, etc.
- Community Service: Service to Japanese American organizations, level of participation, length of time involved, level of involvement, leadership, and accomplishments, etc. Previous JASC scholarship winners applying for a second award must demonstrate sustained engagement with JASC.
- Essay: A one-page essay on one of the following topics:
- How is JASC relevant to your life?
- How has JASC contributed to the applicant’s sense of self or personal growth?
- How do you anticipate participation in JASC in the future?
- A letter of reference from each of the following:
a) A teacher/professor from the applicant’s school; and
b) An adult familiar with the applicant’s service and participation in the Japanese American community
- Download the JASC 2021 Scholarship Application here.
The following criteria will be used in evaluating scholarship applications
- Service to and participation in JASC and other Japanese American community events, programs, and projects.
- While grades are not always indicative of ability, good grades or steady improvement of grades throughout high school, suggest the student takes their education seriously. Grades will be considered as a measure of the student’s interest and seriousness. The student’s coursework and course levels will also be reviewed as an indication of interests and motivation.
- Participation in extracurricular activities is important and will be considered in evaluating an applicant. Considerations will include the level or degree of the applicant’s commitment, leadership, and accomplishments in the activity, etc.
Decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final, and applicants will be notified on or around May 30, 2021.
The award ceremony will be on June 28, 2021, at 7:00 pm, families are invited and welcome to attend (to be confirmed per Covid guidelines).
All completed application materials and transcripts must be submitted by April 29, 2021, 5:00 PM
To: Japanese American Service Committee Scholarship Committee
4427 N. Clark
Chicago, IL 60640
Any questions? Please contact:
773-275-0097 ext 228
Congratulations to our 2020 JASC Scholarship Recipients
Taketo (Tak) Tomiyama Scholarship – Eriko Darcy
John Iwaoka Scholarship – Jacob Trick
John Iwaoka Scholarship – James Ozaki
Dr. Newton K. Wesley Scholarship – Samir Ozaki
JASC Scholarship – Alicia Ly